“Here I am today, 85 years old. I am still as strong today as I was the day Moses sent me out. My strength for battle and for daily tasks is now as it was then. Now give me this hill country the LORD promised me on that day, because you heard then that the Anakim are there, as well as large fortified cities.”
Let’s look at his statement 1 phrase as a time.
1. “Here I am today, 85 years old.” Caleb didn’t look at himself as being “too” old. He knew he still had things to contribute and he wasn’t going to let age stop him! Do you feel this way? Or do you sometimes think, “I’m too old for that!” Would you be willing to let God work in spite of your age or abilities?
2. “I am still as strong today…” Caleb didn’t look at himself as being “too” weak. He wasn’t going to yield, fail, give way, recede, or be soft! It reminds me of that phrase, “never give up, never surrender”!!! I pray that you will adopt this kind of attitude as well.
3. “Now give me this hill country…” Caleb looked at the hills and it was higher ground. He was definitely an “Uphill Fighter”! Too often, I tend to look at the uphill fight and think “I just don’t want to work that hard. Give me the ‘easy, flat’ road, please.” May God give us a heart that desires the higher, more difficult road, because anything worth doing is going to be difficult.
4. “You have heard that the Anakim are there” The Anakim, were feared because of their size and probably fierce nature. In Deuteronomy 9:2 this is said of the Anakim: “The people are strong and tall, the descendants of the Anakim. You know about them and you have heard it said about them, ‘Who can stand up to the sons of Anak?'” Now, most people would look at the area where the Anakim were and they would go the other direction. But not Caleb, he desired the fight against the ‘giants’, because they were enemies of God. We should not be afraid to fight the enemies of God (selfishness, pride, deceit, etc.) just because they seem “too big”!
5. “as well as large, fortified cities” So not only are those enemies strong and big, but they also live in strongholds, fortified places! Well, it’s a good thing that God has given us spiritual weapons for bringing down every ‘stronghold’ that has set itself up against Christ in our lives! (2 Cor. 10:3-4)
You see Caleb knew that the LORD was with him, and he knew that the LORD would dispossess the Anakim, because He is a promise keeping God! (v. 12)
What an example Caleb is to me! Father, give me the heart of Caleb. A heart that looks at the difficult, uphill battle and knows that You will defeat that enemy! Amen!